So here is the Moong Dal Halwa recipe from the cook-off event mentioned in the last post. Since the cook-off event was sponsored by Canola Oil, this halwa too was cooked in canola oil.
Moong Dal Halwa
Preparation Time: 10 mins (requires overnight soaking)
Cooking time: 50 mins
Moong Dal: 375 gms
Canola oil: 500ml
Green Cardamom Powder: 1.5 tsp
Pista sliced: 5 table spoons
1. Soak the moong dal in sufficient water overnight. Drain all the water completely and grind it to a fine paste.
2. Heat canola oil and sooji in a karaahi. On slow flame cook sooji till it turns brown. Now add the moong daal paste. On medium heat cook the paste till it is thick and finally oozes out the oil.
3. Remove the karaahi from flame and transfer the fried paste to a metallic strainer/sieve. Let the excess oil drain out. While the oil drains out, mix water, sugar and cardamom powder and bring it to a boil, and then remove from flame.
4. Place the moong dal paste back in karaahi and start the fire. Heat it and add the sugar syrup carefully. Now cook till all the water is absorbed and there are no lumps. If you see any lumps just add little water and reduce it again.
5. For a twist in taste, you can flavour the halwa with fruits – orange or banana. Garnish with pista slivers.
Photo courtesy : Mrs Deeba Rajpal